We're not even sure where we're going, we just know we have to leave. It's the worst. We've finally bought plane tickets back to the USA (something I put off for more than 2 months), and we'll be back in the homeland in late September. *Sigh* It's happy and it's sad. Allow me to explain.
I love being American. I want to go back home and see family and be surrounded with things I'm familiar with. Root beer, Denny's, driving on the right side of the road, sunshine--I've missed it all so much. But, since we've been here we've met lots of people that have made England feel like home and I feel like we're leaving our family behind. Let me introduce you!
This is Evelyn. She was probably Atley and Holly's first friend after we moved here. Evelyn is very good about keeping Atley in line in primary and makes sure he sticks with the class by holding his hand. It is very adorable. Holly loves playing with her because they can play princesses. It's nice to have an older girl for Holly to look up to.
Charlotte, Ed, and Elijah are the rest of Evelyn's family. Her family was very welcoming and helpful in our first uncertain days and we've grown even closer since. A highlight was earlier this year when they visited Ian's parents in California while on a trip around the Western U.S. We've loved our park days and the odd dinner together.
Phoebe is the other little girl in Atley's Primary class. She cracks me up. I don't think there is a time I have seen her when she hasn't given me a good reason to laugh. She has said things like "Atley, you're my husband so that means I need to be nice to you" or "My Mommy chooses the right when she buys me sweets!" After her trip to France for vacation she even made sure to check and make sure I missed her--of course we missed you Phoebe!
Next up are Holly and Katie. Both of these girls have been so helpful to my kids and are great playmates. We went to Holly's house for dinner and she was sure to clean up all the little pieces so they wouldn't choke. Then she drew them a picture of them with their favorite toys. Now it's hanging up in their room. She was also nice enough to give me a short lesson on water conservation in the car! How thoughtful, right?
Katie came home from church with us one Sunday and spent the afternoon. The kids LOVED having her here, but I think I loved it even more. I didn't see my kids for like 2 hours straight. It was the perfect break and even more so because I knew they were playing instead of just watching a movie and becoming zombies. I can always get my kids to put their shoes on if I tell them we're going to see Katie!
Tom likes to dazzle us with his knowledge of American culture and we love being dazzled! He's a big fan of Root beer and the NBA. Atley likes to call him Tommy which Tom doesn't seem to mind. I find it very cute that Atley has a special name for him. He is helpful with entertaining the kids and keeping them quiet when they need to be and teaching them to race when they have a bit of time to play. Anna puts on an American accent which I'm told can be quite the show. She has a big personality and is always willing to share her ponies and other toys with Holly.
Atley has taken to calling them Grandma and Granddad, but they are less formally known as Pat and Liz! They have been kind enough to have us for dinner a couple of times, one of which included Pat's birthday a couple weeks ago. We can always count on him to organize a good basketball game. Liz plays the piano for us in primary and we don't go a week without a good laugh about something or another. While Ian and I always enjoy their bright smiles and wonderful family gatherings, it's especially nice that they don't mind that Atley thinks of them as Grandparents. I think it makes it easier for him to be so far away from his real Grandparents and to be familiar with what Grandmas and Grandpas do.
Emma is my chat buddy. She comes around when the boys play basketball ready to play if they need her and ready to chat with me when they don't! She always has good advice and a funny story to tell. What more can you ask? Well, thankfully she often brings along Richard, too! Ian appreciates Richard coming around so he isn't the only guy with us Moms. Richard doesn't say much, but I'm coming to learn when he does say something it's well worth the wait. Recently, they also introduced us to Indian food. I was afraid to try it, but now I have no idea why!
Helena and Elias (or Eli) are sure to be seen together. Eli was born shortly after we moved here so we can safely say we've known this little guy all his life! Atley and Holly have become surprisingly warm when it comes to Eli which gives me a little hope that he's getting them ready for another baby. His adorable smile and sweet disposition made me baby hungry from the first time I saw him! Helena is really good at getting Ian out of his comfort zone. She says just the right things and Ian turns bright red! She's super funny and positive, and we're always glad when she is around. Her husband Chris is another addition to our family of friends. He always seems to arrive after I've finished taking pictures though, so you'll just have to imagine what you think he looks like!
All of these people and many more have helped to make our time here very special. They have served us and loved us, and it's hard to imagine how our lives will continue without them. I'm really hoping that soon they will want to come visit us in the good 'ol USA! Sheffield family reunion 2013 anyone?









2 comments:
i'm glad you've made some good friends to make England feel like home. Though I'm glad you're coming back and there is a chance I may see you again :) Good luck with your move. can't believe it's been two years already!
We were thinking the same thing as Kaylene. We can't believe it has been two years already. It seems so recent that you had decided to go. Keep us posted on your next adventure and it you are ever going through Minnesota stop by and visit!
Post a Comment