September 20, 2012

Sweet Goodbyes

Saying goodbye to people you have grown to love is really really hard. We did it when we left Rexburg, California, and Florida and here we are doing it all over again. I'm getting used to the pack-your-stuff part, but the saying goodbye part will probably never be easy. Still, it offers us a chance to see what kind of impact we've made in the short time we've been here. One of our little friends, named Holly, made us this sweet card and going away gift. 



She's a budding artist and I loved all the colors and attention she put into these drawings for us. She even hand made the envelope! The card says "Happy Travels" and came with that cute little worm with the goggly eyes. Holly told me the worm is a book mark and you can stick it in your book to keep your place. A bookworm? That's SO clever for a 7 year-old! When she handed me the card she told me she made it for us since we're going away. I instantly knew I had to post it on the blog because it was one of the sweetest and most heartfelt things I've ever received!

More goodbyes passed today since it was Atley's last day of school. We took cupcakes to his friends and a card and treats to his favorite teachers. Shelby (pictured below) was always so sweet to Atley and even Holly when I'd bring her along to pick him up. She and his other teachers (Amy & Heather) took such good care of him. They made me feel like he was as special to them as he is to me. What more can you ask from someone who you trust to look after your child? Shelby has been talking all week about how sad she'll be when Atley goes, but she put on her brave face for him and tried not to cry.


The worst part for me was, I know Atley is going to miss school and his teachers and friends so much, but he just doesn't really get what's going on yet! He's so blinded by the fact that we're going on an airplane to see Grandma!

I guess maybe it's better that he doesn't know what's going on. When we left Rexburg (before we even got out of the city) he started crying and telling me he wanted to go back home. It broke my heart. At least this way we can get on with what we need to do without having Atley and Holly upset too!

More goodbyes are coming and I can only hope that this sacrifice is going to be worth it in the long run.

1 comment:

Kayleen said...

I thought that card read "Happy to have you's" with a british accent or something ("t'ave" and "u's" :) lol what a sweet little girl. I'm glad to know you have made a family out there. It's so hard to leave. I hope the move goes well and I'm still so sad we missed you in Florida. At least we'll be closer than we are now :)