September 16, 2011. That's the day we first arrived in England. Do you remember what a hassle we had? Well, I most certainly do. If you feel like you need a reminder check out the blogpost. The worst of it all is that we had no idea where to even start. No idea how to work the bus system, no idea where the stores were let alone what time they closed--frustrating. I cannot tell you how many times I have said to Ian "the University should put together a 'welcome to Sheffield' packet with all that information in it." Well, since it's time for move-ins we found this little beauty in our mail slot!
Yep, sure enough this year was the launch of the new A to Z Accommodation packet for couples and families! I'm starting to think they've bugged our house and are listening for our suggestions. Maybe they're reading my blog too! In that case, I think every house should come with a massage chair and sauna! Not that it will help me, but it doesn't hurt to try!
We started thumbing through and found all sorts of gems that would've been a life saver in our early days. For example: page 4 has contacts like maintenance, the police, and the health center. Page 6 talks about the trash service; when pickup is and what can be recycled. Page 10 lists some places to get a bite to eat. Also included is a list of nurseries to send your children to, local grocery stores, and even things to do in the neighborhood! I was really wishing we had access to something like this when we moved in when I turned to the last page and found....
US!
Now I'm sure they're watching us! But I'm wondering how they got us all sitting together and looking at the camera...
Alright, the jig is up. Once upon a time (a few months ago) we had a camera crew come to our home and interview us about our experience here in University housing. They told us they were putting together a video to put up on the school's website. Well, no video yet, but we were glad (and surprised!) to see that used our picture for this. At least now we know it was a legitimate interview! I'm especially glad that they've put together something for all those families with jet lag trying to figure things out when their brains are only half working.
Still, isn't it ironic that we're the poster family for this packet considering we had none of this information? I'd say so! And couldn't they have chosen a better photo? I have a bunch that we just took that would've been better than this!


1 comment:
Great Post...it made me giggle all the way through. Love getting the last bit of England through you. After having been there with you its easy to visualize all that you are referring to. I feel like I will miss it too!
Post a Comment