Here are a couple pictures of Cristina and I back in our baseball playing days.
The game featured the home-town team versus the Baltimore Orioles at Tropicana Field.
In front of the ballpark
The view from our seats: We were really close to the players, and also had many foul balls fly our way. The entire ballpark is enclosed and airconditioned. It was very nice for watching a game.
Tropicana Field--you know, like the orange juice
Cristina infront of the ray tank. This was in far left field. Notice, Cristina is sporting her official Tampa Bay Rays shirt, but I drew the line at the earrings.
A conenose ray in the tank
Cristina and I enjoying our seats prior to the start of the game. It does not look like very many people are there yet, but we were there an hour early; more people came as the game started. Although, since it was the end of the season and the Rays were not going to the playoffs attendance was low.
Cristina's parents enjoying the show. We're glad that they came to join us, and had a lot of fun with them.
One cool things about the game is that there are plenty of side games and entertainment along the 9 innings. At this particular game, the stadium had bingo cards that they handed out for free to all spectators. After each play, a code was displayed on the jumbotron that corresponded to your bingo cards. If you had a winning card you would win a prize--sadly no luck. Additionally, if the Rays were able to strikeout 10 batters of the opposing team, then all spectators in attendance would win a free pizza from Papa Johns. The Rays had 15 (Which was also a record for the club). We got 4 free pizzas!
Tradition
One thing about baseball is that it is rooted in tradition. It has its own theme song "Take Me Out to the Ball Game", traditional candies, and the all important 7th inning stretch.
"Take me out to the ball game
Take me out with the crowd
Buy me some peanuts and crackerjacks
I don't care if I never come back
Let me root, root, root for the home team
If they don't win its a shame
For its one, two, three strikes you're out
At the old ball game"
This song's from 1908, and it is sung without fail during the 7th inning stretch. A true American Classic.
As far as traditional candies go, you will notice Cristina is enjoying the homemade variety of Crackerjacks. Crackerjacks are essentially carmel popcorn with peanuts or other nuts added.
Although peanuts are a classic staple of ballgames, sunflower seeds are a worthy option. As you will notice from the packaging, these are the official seeds of the MLB (Major League Baseball).
Finally, you guessed it--the official candy bar of baseball, BabyRuth. It is made of a nut-coated carmel covered in chocolate. One of my personal favorites as far as candybars go.
With all good traditions, there's a hint of superstition. You know, things like wearing your hat inside out (rally caps), wearing your lucky socks, or closing your eyes on big plays. I've recently heard it said, "its only weird if it doesn't work." The BabyRuths were brought out after the 7th inning stretch in hopes of rallying the team. It really came down to the the very last pitch as the Rays tried to battle back in the 9th inning. Sadly they came up short. I might mention that superstition does not work unless everyone pitches in. My mother-in-law didn't eat her BabyRuth...Regardless, it was all in good fun, and we all had a great time, and made some great memories.
For your commenting pleasure:
What are your sporting traditions, superstitions, or memories?




4 comments:
Love seeing the side by side pics of you two! Not being a baseball fan as much as support my kids fan, I am partial to the memories the game of baseball has given me.
i read your blog quite often but it's usually while i'm nursing owen so i'm unable to type. i'll try to comment more :)
we love baseball around here, too though our loyalties are with the red sox. that being said, we're also generally fans of anyone beating the yankees :)
I've never been a real sports fan - hello, I just went to my FIRST BYU Football game and I've lived here 6 years (in fact, Cristina definitely beat me and she's NEVER lived here). BUT I ALWAYS loved going to see Cristina play ball! She was such a good catcher. She got in a trouble a couple of times for haggling the batters - they hated her! She used to sing during the pitch :) (that's the family skill - singing). I used to braid her hair before most every game and sometimes quickly between innings. She got me braiding for quite a few team members too! That made the game more fun... I hope my boys take up baseball so I can relive those memories (without the braids of course)
My hubby LOVES football. It is his guilty pleasure. But we have adopted watching the triple crown races like I did growing up. Everything stops for the races.
Oh and the Olympics. THis year I made Cornish pasties for the opening ceremonies and some tikka masala, since we had more indian food than English in London.
BTW you guys look great and Welcome home
Post a Comment