November 17, 2010

I shot the sheriff...

...but I did not shoot the deputy. Okay, really, I shot a tree stump. Okay, really really, I tried to shoot a tree stump.

Before I continue...Amy here is the Cristina post you were looking for in your comment!

Our friends/neighbors invited us to go shooting. I'd never even heard a real gun before so I gotta say, I was pretty nervous to hold and even shoot one. When I did hear one, I screamed. I knew it would be loud but I was surprised how loud! Once I got my hands on it though and started to shoot I realized that if you have respect for guns and the damage they can do and treat them properly, they can be way fun! Thanks again Nikki and Cody for taking us along, and Julie for babysitting!

Photobucket
Ian had done some shooting before so he was better at actually hitting things then me.
Photobucket
I really wanted to look cool in these pictures. I did not want to look like I was freezing my butt off like I actually was. Why? I don't really know. I think looking cold reminds me that I'm still a winter wuss from Florida. I've lived here 4 years! You'd think I'd get used to it! But, no.
Photobucket
Ian and I both tried the bigger gun, but it was so heavy I looked even less cool with it because I had a hard time holding it up. And as you can see in this picture and the next video that I gave up trying to look cool because I was FREEZING!

Cody said we had to shoot all the rounds fast just to get it out of our systems. I'm glad we did. I'm sure I didn't hit anything worth anything, but it was fun!

So lessons learned:
  1. I need a lot more practice before a gun in my hands would actually be a threat even to the broad side of a barn.
  2. When you shoot a gun sideways, you can't hit anything. Sorry Mr. Gangster, I now know your secret that you're a terrible shot. You still look tough though.
  3. Guns can be for recreation, but no matter what you're using it for it demands respect.
Besides the shooting though Ian was accepted to another school this week--The University of Sussex also in England. Now we have options! We're waiting on one more school before we make the final choice, so stay tuned.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When I come to Idaho can your friends be my friends too? I am so Jealous.

Kassy said...

WHAT!? Sussex? England!? HOLY COW! And we thought moving back out to the coast was a big move - Ha. Well I'm glad that he's already getting accepted to some schools. How exciting! Keep us all posted.